Monday, January 22, 2007



The Day I beheld the Emperor of Japan

I was invited to watch the hatsubasho (the first Sumo tournament of the New Year) with my former host family. As we arrived in RyƓgoku, there was a huge commotion, snipers on roofs, helicopters circling, the whole place swarming with security personel (recognizable by the vacant look on their faces as they listen to commands uttered into their ears from some hidden headquarter). We expected either the Prime Minister or a member of the Imperial household, but when the limousine pulled up accompanied by two police details, behold! it was nobody else but the Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. There was a contagious burst of cheers and the obligatory waving. I was surprised at how tiny and frail they both seemed.
The Japanese national anthem 'Kimi ga yo' was played when they entered the hall and took their seats. Then the rikishi (the sumo wrestlers) entered the ring and were introduced one by one by country/prefecture of origin, stable and then name.
Funnily enough, of our party I was perhaps most excited about seeing them. My mother took a polite interest into the affairs of the Imperial family mostly based on compassion for the difficult lifes they are forced to lead. My host sister caught a few glances I can only describe as of the sort with which one merely registers some abstract unconnected fact . My host brother who seems to spend most of his days sleeping or staring into empty space, remained utterly indifferent.


No comments: